Empty Garage
From about age 16 onward, I have invariably received strange looks at the revelation that I have never held a driver’s license, although those looks are often subsequently tempered when I mention that a significant portion of my lifespan have been spent in NYC and now in Sydney (just 5 minutes from Central and the heart of the city – and now Dave Edmunds is singing in my head). In fact, I haven’t been behind the wheel of the car since my eldest niece was born and I circled the block at Beth Israel while her father went in to retrieve her and her mother. We think about getting a car now and then, although renting the car space we own does provide a nice little supplement to our income, one more necessary now than when we bought the place, given the wages at Parramatta working for the Catholics, and at least I’d have the advantage of not having to unlearn too much. Thanks to the web goddess, I can practice developing my skills – o.k., my knowledge base - on-line. I may end up one of the few drivers in town to actually know the rules for using a round-about.
Addendum: for the roundabout-challenged, behold the Swindon magic roundabout. For those who would scoff at carlessness, I provide this handy calculator. It's a dollar-sixty here for a one-zone trip on the bus, for comparison.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment