22 April 2004

Think Globally, Act Locally
I’ve never been one to work the system particularly, although political activism has had its place in the family over the years, from dinner table argumentation to active registration of voters, attendance and participation in protests to fund raising activities. Since becoming an expatriate citizen of the U.S., however, and as a long-standing registered Democrat myself, it has been increasingly important for me to find ways to act on my political principles. Usually, it’s been writing barbed posts here regarding the professional characters and disreputable activities of the present administration in Washington D.C. Back some months ago, M. and I began down a more activist path, one which last night became ever so much more so, as I attended a meeting (or ”meet-up”) of Democrats Abroad, a new chapter of which is being formed in Australia, at the invitation of one of the more active members. The goals Democrats Abroad – Australia are simple: increase the presence and thus the strength of the chapter, thereby making the many thousands of Americans living in this country a more effective part of the political process at home; register voters; and raise campaign funds. (That last bit is the one a lot of people might focus on, myself included, since it sounds like we’re creating an organization that will dun its members for endless monetary contributions, but really, it’s like voting: everything counts; contribute a dollar, or twenty, or two thousand, because it won’t go to waste.) The meeting, held the third Wednesday of each month at the Lord Nelson Hotel in the Rocks, last night was a new experience for me, not just because I’m Australia, but because I’ve never actually been this politically active. The other members present were all very impressively engaged and committed individuals, not to mention personable, which made for a pleasant enough evening, but what is particularly exciting is the level of organization already accomplished. So, although I don’t expect I’m getting much of an ex-pat audience here, I’m going ahead and using this as a means of putting out the call to other Democrats to join in. Donate time, money, both, but this year it’s beyond important that we learn and we act.

No comments: