23 June 2005

Memepsychosis
It’s pretty much pointless for me to participate in the music meme making its way around, but if the Counsellor’s going to make me part of that circuit, who am I to refuse? He’s the elder brother, after all.

1. Total Number of Records (CD, vinyl, cassette): like Bill, at this point I’m measuring in meters rather than actually counting. Although some years ago I did catalog everything other than 45 rpm singles into a very basic cross-referenced database using MS-Access, there’s been a fair bit of change since then in all formats, largely as a result of integrating the remnants of M.’s damaged-in-storage collection, not to mention the intermittent acquisitions via gifts and have-to-have or it’s-on-sale purchases. So: about 5 to 6 meters of CDs, which probably tops 500, half a meter of 7” singles, 2 to 3 meters of 12” LP’s, and no prerecorded cassettes worth mentioning. It’s a lot of prog-rock, new wave, and post-punk, with a decent sampling of jazz, country, and a little blues.

2. Total Volume of Music on My Computer: damn little. When Project Greenlight awarded M. an iBook for making the top 10, I started downloading a few CDs, managing in the end to copy across about 50-70 CDs. Then Microsoft signed on as a sponsor, so we had to give back the Apple in exchange for a Windows workstation, and we’re trying to sell that. The Powerbook’s got a few albums on it, largely in conjunction with M.’s screenplay development. A couple gig, maybe.

3. Last Record Purchased: I really don’t remember. It was probably a gift, rather than a must-have. Maybe Nick Cave’s double Abattoir Blues & The Lyre of Orpheus, which I think M. picked up around Christmas.

4. Last Record Listened to: By and large these days, we listen to music while we’re doing the household chores, so it’s often the Marvelettes or Dusty in Memphis or something else lively, fairly upbeat, sing-along-ish, and otherwise acting as an incentive to M., who deals with that end of the apartment. Since I’m running the vacuum, I don’t listen much. I put Lucinda Williams’ Car Wheels on a Gravel Road on not long ago while M. was out and I preferred something other than mindless television.

5. Five Records/Songs I Listen to or Are Meaningful to Me: It’s not so much that I listen a lot to any of these, but that they are records that have resonance from the point in time when I first heard them. There are many others, of course, some more obvious than others, and there is a certain snob appeal in this selection. Nevertheless:
a. Another Green World, Brian Eno
b. All Things Must Pass, George Harrison
c. Entertainment, Gang of Four
d. Army Arrangement, Fela Kuti
e. Second Edition, Public Image Ltd.

6. Tag 5: It’ll be interesting if any of these pick this up (if they haven't already and I missed it): Beth, who will surely have some good travelling music to report; Suki, who has better things to do but could maybe use a break; Bee, if she ever comes back or starts ‘blogging again; Andy, ditto (the latter clause); Betty Sue, who needs something to do while she’s ill.

No comments: