21 October 2003

Have a Copy of Argosy While You Wait
When Bush II was still just the dauphin, running for office against Gore, I lived in fear the country would be stupid enough to elect him. It was a very close thing, close enough that he did become President. Even at my far remove geographically from the incipient race of ’04, I take great interest in the Democratic doings, particularly those of Dean, Kerry, and Edwards. I don’t put much stock in Gephardt, and none in Mosely-Braun or Sharpton or the little UFOlogist, but the others look like the contenders needed to unseat the usurper, so I’m keeping my eye on them. I was put on to Edwards by an article in the New Yorker, and I still find him a viable candidate for all his campaign’s lack of momentum, such as that enjoyed by Dean. David Brooks’ op-ed piece in the NY Times points out a failing in my party that I think Dean ought to look at, but probably won’t. Although Gore had the election stolen by the Supremes, and arguably Bush won in the Electoral College, the popular vote is what swings these events if you have the real numbers – not a few hundred or a thousand in Florida, but the big numbers in the fly-over states. Edwards’ campaign may have the appeal in those places more than Dean’s, but if the doctor could get in with Floyd the barber just as well. It also makes me think of Flannery O’Connor stories, but that’s a fear with a slightly different source, so we’ll let that pass for now.

No comments: