26 February 2004

Ballot Stuff
It’s times like this I’d like a scanner, but I’d probably go well overboard if I was putting pictures here as well as text. Anyway, I’ve now voted in the New York State Presidential Primary via absentee ballot, the instructions for which include (in English, Spanish, and Chinese) explicit examples of how to FILL IN THE OVAL on the electronically readable form. Why are the choices “Thomas Edison” and “Amelia Earhart” and why is the oval filled in for Edison? Is this an example of male bias in the political process or because Earhart was lost at sea and wouldn’t be able to serve anyway? Anyway, isn’t it fun that I get to vote for two sets of delegates? God only knows what will happen to the ¼ sent from Australia, but I’m sending Dean’s delegates in if my vote counts for anything. I am interested to know if I’ll automatically get sent a ballot for the November election, too, or if I have to request it specially: they appear to think I still live in NYC.

No comments: