12 February 2004

Ignatius of Loyola
The Jesuits are a fascinating group, the only remaining viable church organization left from the Renaissance. They have a deserved reputation as a scholarly order, in addition to the political sensibilities and machinations ascribed to them, so I’m very tempted to head over to the other side of the harbour to hear them discuss the refugee crisis in Australia. The principle of giving everyone a “fair go” is one of the characteristics of Australian society that make it one of the most truly democratic societies on the planet, but short-sighted politicians can get bound up in the need for an immediate response to events, acting against higher principles, such as has happened here and in the States with various laws granting extraordinary powers to the police following September 11. Although I’m sure there are those who would argue otherwise, I’d prefer not to see a return to the fear-mongering of McCarthyism or the re-institutionalization of “White Australia.” Even if I don’t make it to the lecture, then, I’d like to think John Howard or Mark Latham might make the trip.

No comments: