24 February 2004

Nickles & Dimes
Only 10 states out of 50 in the U.S. have a deposit bottle law on the books, a program not present in New South Wales, but one I’d like to see introduced here sooner rather than later. Bottlers are getting US$85 million in unclaimed deposits, so there’s probably enough to go around over and above the benefits to the environment and to consumers. The program is terrifically successful, by my assessment, and we’d surely benefit here, too, if I judge the number of empties lying around correctly. I’m surprised it isn’t more common in the U.S., for that matter. I remember when I went to Michigan, the first place I saw the recycling deposit law in action, the streets were cleaner, and once it was in place in NY, the entrepreneurial spirit that engaged so many of the city’s poor was nearly incredible. 5¢ doesn’t get you very far in many places, and twenty cans is only a dollar, so you need over 200 to get a pack of cigarettes. That’s a lot of bottles and cans, and you’ll need to spend some time and effort to amass that supplement to your dole check. Before bottlers and supermarkets cry poor, have another look at what’s required of them – they’ve adapted quite well, I’d say. Maybe it’s time to share.

No comments: