06 August 2004

Make It Stop
I have enjoyed the Harry Potter phenomenon and appreciate all the good it may be doing in the world in encouraging children to read who might otherwise not, and I even had three years of employment that could be said to have been in some part funded by the publishing juggernaut these books represent, but she said 7 and that’s enough. You want 8? Fine, but if the eighth in the series consists of “outtakes,” I’m not buying it for you. Who needs a blooper reel? (In fact, book 5 contained an internal consistency error, which the publishers then tried to correct in the next printing, causing some hue and cry among the devotees, as it would result in requiring them to purchase the revised edition in order not to suffer degradation in the value of their collections, but that’s a different story.) Thanks to KMH for bringing this to my attention.

No comments: