31 August 2004

Labour vs. Liberal
On my way to work, I’ve begun seeing small examples of political activism: a man dressed in a sack and hood, as in the photos from Abu Ghraib, holding fluorescent anti-Howard posters; chalked graffiti on the sidewalks protesting Howard’s lies. . . . Over the next six weeks, I expect there will be more, but little enough in my neighborhood supporting the present administration, particularly as the area that used to be South Sydney is a traditionally Labour bastion. But what are the differences, you may ask, and the answer may be that, as in the U.S., very little. Gerard Henderson’s political analysis piece in the SMH today says it’s the “little things,” not the big policy issues, that make the difference, pointing to two key areas: foreign policy and industrial relations. Latham would pull Australia out of Iraq and would seek to give more power to the Industrial Relations Commission, which would potentially give unions back an option they’d lost back when Howard was Minister for Business & Consumer Affairs in the 1970’s.

The arguments against pulling out the troops are not limited to the political message sent to the wrong people, but also to Australia’s relationship with the U.S. Kerry would prefer the ADF to stay just as much as Bush, but I have to agree with Latham on this one: Iraq is a foreign adventure Australia probably shouldn’t have supported in the first place. The U.S. throws its weight around a bit much over the ANZUS treaty, and Richard Armitage’s bully-boy tactics put me right off. The U.S. is welcome to cordial relations and even free trade, but Australia isn’t the third world and should be treated with respect. Bush has shown little of that, and Kerry would do well to take notice of Latham gets in.

As for industrial relations, I’m already on record here that I admire the strength of Australia’s organized labor, and it seems to me that there isn’t the problem of corruption that exists in the States. The IRC does a good job, and attempts at gutting workers’ power to effect redress need to be reformed. It’s all well and good to strike a balance between workers and management, but this is better effected by methods such as Latham is proposing, rather than by the legislation Howard implemented.

If these are the only differences between them, then I’m still in favor of a Labour government coming to power, despite dire warnings of fiscal irresponsibility from the past. But I think it’s a simplistic gloss to draw the distinctions only on these two policy matters. Labour and Liberal have a long-standing philosophical divide, one that is quite evident on a daily basis.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
You re, I guess , perhaps curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The firm incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a correct partner who uses your savings in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://azufakuz.greatnow.com/yderul.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to become rich

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
might , probably very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may commense to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The firm incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I started to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a correct companion utilizes your money in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://equsojom.digitalzones.com/rosiwur.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Anonymous said...

Hello!
You may probably be very curious to know how one can make real money on investments.
There is no need to invest much at first.
You may commense to get income with a sum that usually goes
for daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one project for several years,
and I'm ready to share my secrets at my blog.

Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I earn 1000-2000 per day now.

[url=http://theblogmoney.com] Online investment blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

Glad to greet you, ladies and gentlemen!

Sure, you’ve heard about me, because my fame is running in front of me,
my parents call me Peter.
Generally I’m a venturesome gambler. for a long time I’m keen on online-casino and poker.
Not long time ago I started my own blog, where I describe my virtual adventures.
Probably, it will be interesting for you to find out how to win not loose.
Please visit my diary. http://allbestcasino.com I’ll be glad would you find time to leave your opinion.