01 December 2004

1 December
It's officially summer here now, which explains the heat. My God, it's hot. O.k., so it's really only 101 Fahrenheit, that's not hot enough for you? On the first day of summer? Yeah, that's what I thought. Of course, I'm not really very far west from the city, but every kilometer counts when you can only rely on lovely sea breezes to cool things off to a reasonable temperature. Down by the harbour, it's a balmy 27.9, whereas out here, it's 38.5. Going out at lunch, I could feel the moisture evaporating off my eyeballs, much as it did when we visited Las Vegas. Maybe it's not really that bad. It would help if they'd fix the air conditioning in the office. Three months of this. Of course, it's really longer than than; we do have to contend with the solstice and then wait for the equinox (note: Northern Hemisphere-centric links), which effectively add another month of hot weather. No wonder the city shuts down over Christmas-New Year's. Culture-shock temper tantrum? You were warned in the masthead.

No comments: