06 December 2004

Power, Absolutely
We don’t have Niagara Falls turning any turbines around here, and nuclear plants don’t operate as promised (and never have), so all we can rely on for electricity are coal-fired power plants, by and large. They’re rough on the environment, and demand is higher than they can supply readily, especially in summer, leading to the latest Carr government innovation: a special levy. From the article, it sounds like Penrith and the western margins of the city are where the trouble is, but a lot of the money is in the CBD, so I expect the levy not to be very favorably structured for unit-dwellers around town. I’d like to get some better details though, and soon; it’s only fair, if they’re going to charge me, that they tell me about it first. I just renewed by EnergyAustralia contract, too, which I’d expect to be honoured. There is no honor among politicians, however.

No comments: