14 December 2004

All Over But the Shouting
Oracle is buying out PeopleSoft for $26.50 per share. I think I missed the part where the “poison pill” kicks in having been eliminated. Oracle is now the biggest of the ERP vendors, and until Microsoft buys out SAP, they also look to be, effectively, the only game in town. SAP is notoriously hard to implement, for all that it’s also supposed to be a superior product to Oracle once it’s in place. Having used neither, I can’t comment beyond the gossip, but I have used PeopleSoft, and it’s a pretty nice relational database product, one likely only to enhance Oracle’s own software line. This does leave me in a bit of a nervous disposition, however, as it bodes for the elimination of one of the key products I’ve hung my professional life on. As much as I’d like to believe the PeopleSoft line will continue, and itself be enhanced by integration with Oracle’s database platform technology, it seems much more likely to be fully subsumed before long. And the army of consultants and developers in Pleasanton, California, and around the world? My marketplace just got a lot more competitive for the next couple of years.

No comments: