Weekend Wrap-Up
While M. was away at a seminar learning many new and useful things about this-and-that, I contented myself over the course of Saturday and Sunday with the usual chores and listening to some recordings I haven't put on to play in a longish time, such as London Calling, by the Clash, which album has had its 25th anniversary the other day, and which stands up remarkably well, with only two or three clinkers over the course of [what was once] a double-album. I also put on More Songs About Buildings & Food, the Talking Heads' second album release, which was a lot of fun, too. While Remain in Light was, at the time, a revealatory album, it does not hold up quite so well, being too busy (although Eno's backing vocals are terrific). These lounge activities were accompanied by one more glass of wine than I ought to have had (it's summer, hot, and a cold chardonney is a beautiful thing) and catching up on September issues of the New Yorker, which were depressing due to their heavy Election '04 content, much of which was predictive of the disappointing outcome in November, despite the hopeful notes sounded throughout. The Graham Parker boxed set I got from the counsellor some time back was the most fun; even barefooted, I had my soul shoes on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment