28 July 2005

A Dingo Has Cut the Wire
So Telstra admits it can’t sustain equality of service in rural areas to that of the cities. Where’s a Wichita lineman when you need one? No, seriously, what’s the problem here? Maintenance? Installation? Mobile coverage? I suppose maintenance and installation really go hand-in-hand, although the former would be the greater burden, I expect, than the latter, since the population growth seems centered on the cities. Nevertheless, even inclusive of providing enough signal relay towers the issue presents itself more as budgeting than as actual costs, not budgeting enough in order to pad other areas, like profits. This often happens in large corporations, regardless of government regulation, although that can add a layer of bureaucratic costs eating into the operation. And with thieves like Steve Vizard in the upper echelons, acting as if there just isn’t enough money that isn’t theirs, it seems as likely an explanation as any other. I don’t object in principle to the full privatization of Telstra, but without substantial competition, they need a closer eye on them than they’ve even been getting. Maybe the new guy can manage things better.

No comments: