Welfare-to-Work
Do most single parents stay home, or do they work outside the home? There are certainly those who rely solely on benefits and child support payments, but surely there are many who also have at least part-time jobs. So is the government right that their revisions in the welfare scheme will provide an extra $58 per week for most persons in this situation, or the National Centre for Social & Economic Modelling, who claim a reduction of $86 per week, with a gain to the government of $114? Pretty sweet for the Coalition, if the latter, and I’d sure appreciate another $3K annually if it was me if the former is correct. I’m suspicious of this government’s economic claims, however, especially when it comes to the social safety net. Knowing they’d prefer to eliminate government protections in the health and well-being of the citizenry, and firm in my belief that support for families means something different to them than it does to me, I’d err on the side of opposing their changes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment