Johnny Tremain
This is a reference that’s going to go right by any Australians in the audience, as it is a “young adult” novel of the American Revolutionary War, wherein an apprentice silversmith has the fingers of one hand fused in an industrial accident. Or pre-industrial, I guess, given the era. In any event, accidents will happen, and one unfortunate member of the household (we won’t say who, but it’s not the cat) has her hand now swathed in bandages to the extent that it is pretty much useless, placing her on the disabled list for some days to come. This is the result of a kitchen incident and leads me to many recollections of those occasions when my chef friends, acquaintances, and family members exhibited a variety of cuts, burns, and other physical impairments resulting from their occupation. It’s a dangerous place, the kitchen, which is probably why my cooking skills tend toward the pre-packaged. I’ve had my share of solo knife fights where I’ve come out the loser, although most often involving the use of x-acto™ blades wielded carelessly. Don’t even get me started on power tools. Still, there’s dinner yet to prepare, so I’m very grateful indeed that our favorite convenience food items, Tasty Bites, is available in this country, providing as they do a nutritious and delicious range of Indian meals, just waiting for some rice and the application of microwaves. The servings could be a bit larger, though, as they are meant apparently for one-and-a-half persons.
No comments:
Post a Comment