Muir Island
As one of the world’s foremost experts on the Merry Marvel Mutants, I have to pronounce X-Men 2 very entertaining indeed. Despite my long association Professor X’s brood, I was in no way disappointed with the “revisionist” approach to the characters – even in the first movie, Wolverine’s height, for example, was purely a non-issue. Never mind; I’m sounding too much like a 16-year old, pimply nerd. The 1st instalment is not a prerequisite, but recommended, as key elements of the plot are otherwise glossed over a bit more than works otherwise. Knowledge of the comic books is also a good idea, but not to the point where you can’t tell the players without a score card (and there are lots of them, more all the time). How the ending isn’t a set-up for the Phoenix saga, you’ll have to tell me, although I do see that it would be about the most confusing and audacious thing Bryan Singer or Fox might attempt with this product. Hugh Jackman, the Australian set to play Peter Allen on Broadway, is terrific. Damn Aussie actors are taking over everywhere.
Cuisine Adventures
Although I have dined out at Lebanese restaurants from Atlantic Avenue to Cleveland Street, I have to say that Almustafa was about the finest Middle Eastern restaurant I’ve been in to date. The falafel was not only terrifically fresh, it was plainly homemade, and by someone who’s been doing it for a long time. One of the more eye-opening elements of our meal there were the pickles, much different than what you’d get at Katz’s, let alone on a hamburger. Cucumber, of course, by also eggplant and turnip, and all brined with just the right proportion of hot peppers to make your tastebuds light up. We went to their new location on Glebe Point Road, as it was close to the movie theatre we were going to, but we’ll try their Surry Hills original sooner than later, I’m sure.
Like, OMG, LOL
I haven’t tested this tool in the field, so I can’t vouch for the functionality, but the AOLer Translator appears to do a fair job translating English into the argot of the chatrooms. Further study is indicated.
Sketchbook
The number of on-line art-related pages grows by leaps and bounds, the latest I’ve seen being the The 5-Line Portrait Project, which is meant to provide a compendium of self-portraits produced using only 5 lines. Their site appears to remain unfinished, but don’t let that stop you from submitting your finest efforts. (Via Flynni’s weblog.)
No comments:
Post a Comment